Below are some of the more prestigeous members of our family who may be found in our tree.
(Their relationship to me is shown in brackets after their names).
Where possible, I've added links to other web sites where further details are available:-
(3rd. cousins 4 times removed) All four brothers were 18th. century prizefighters, the most successful being
- Isaac BITTON (3rd. cousin 5 times removed) 18th. century prizefighter.
Also known as Isaac BITOON.
- Evelyn CHENKIN (mother in law) - author of "Gathering the Remnants" - the story of her work searching for Jewish Children in post war France as well as the "Dina and Dov" stories for children. Her book of poems "Just for You" has also been published. Honorary Vice President of WIZO (U.K.). See also WIZO Review Fall 2009.
- Isaac Hezekiah ben Jacob de CORDOVA 1677-1726 (7th. great grandfather) - One of the earliest Jewish printers and publishers in Amsterdam.
- Jacob Raphael de CORDOVA 1808-1868 (3rd. cousin 6 times removed) - printer, newspaper owner, land agent, map maker and State Representative to the Second Texas Legislature.
- Joshua Hezekiah de CORDOVA 1719-1797 (1st. cousin 8 times removed) - rabbi and preacher.
David COREN (CORONEL) (7th. cousin 3 times removed) - Member of The Knesset, author of “Defending Sodom: 1934-1948” (Heb) (1989) and author of the booklet about the Senior Coronel Family.
Joe DANIELS (TOLEDANO) 1841-1915 (4th. cousin 3 times removed) - performer, composer, arranger and teacher of banjo, mandolin and guitar and maker of the "Defiance" banjo which he patented.
Samuel GOMPERS 1850-1924 (2nd. cousin twice removed) - founder and first registered member of the Cigar-Makers' International Union and president of the American Federation of Labor. Instrumental in making the first Monday in September a legal holiday, since known as "Labor Day".
- Hartog-Henry "Philip" GREEN 1911-1982 (2nd. cousin once removed) - Musician, composer, conductor and philanthropist (co-founder of The Philip and Dorothy Green Music Trust)
His credits include:
Florence GREENBERG (nee OPPENHEIMER) 1882-1980 (6th. cousin twice removed) - nursing sister and jewish cookery writer. I well remember my mother's very worn copy of her book.
- Gerald Rufus ISAACS 1889-1980 (6th. cousin once removed) - son of Rufus Daniel ISAACS (see below) 2nd. Marquess of Reading, known as Viscount Erleigh, barrister and Conservative politician. Married to Eva Violet MOND, daughter of Sir Alfred MOND (1st. Baron Melchett of Lanford)
- Sir Henry Aaron ISAACS 1830-1909 (4th. cousin 3 times removed) - Sheriff of London and Middlesex, Lord Mayor of London 1889.
- Lady Joan ISAACS 1918-2000 (7th. cousin) - daughter of Gerald ISAACS (see above). Married to Sir Solly ZUCKERMAN (Baron Zuckerman of Burnham Thorpe)
- Sir Rufus Daniel ISAACS 1860-1939 (5th. cousin twice removed) - English lawyer and statesman, Member of Parliament, Attorney General, Lord Chief Justice, Viceroy of India, baron, viscount, earl and 1st Marquess of Reading, Foreign Secretary.
Aaron MENDOZA 1709-? (5th. great grand uncle) Shochet, author of "Dinim de Sehita, y Bedica" (Laws of Slaughter and Examination of Animals), illustrated by the author.
- Daniel MENDOZA 1764-1836 (2nd. cousin 5 times removed) - pugilist - English heavyweight champion, author of "The Art of Boxing". Inducted into the International Jewish Sports Hall of Fame in 1981.
- Mike MENDOZA (7th. cousin) - Broadcaster/radio presenter: The Mike Mendoza Show
- Millie MILLER nee HARING 1923-1977 (1st. cousin once removed) - Justice of the Peace, Mayor of Stoke Newington, Mayor of the London Borough of Camden, Member of Pariament (Labour), Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Minister of State, Department of Prices & Consumer Protection .... see also:
- Sir Gerald NABARRO 1913-1973 (6th. cousin once removed)- U. K. Member of Parliament (Conservative), author of "NAB 1, Portrait of a Politician ".
- Maria NUNEZ (LOPES PEREIRA) (10th. great grand aunt). A beauty of Portuguese birth, captured (supposedly by Sir Walter Raleigh, who taken with her looks proposed marriage) and taken to England where she was presented to Queen Elizabeth I before being allowed to continue her journey to the Netherlands.
- Dr. Balthazar (Isaac) OROBIO de CASTRO 1616-1687 (9th. Great Grandfather) - philosopher and physician. See also "From Christianity To Judaism: The Story Of Isaac Orobio De Castro" by Yosef Kaplan (Intl. Specialized Book Service Inc. (05/01/2004) ISBN: 1904113141)
- Dr. Moses OROBIO de CASTRO 1663-1708 (8th. Great Grand Uncle) - Son of Balthazar (Isaac) Orobio de Castro, and a popular physician in Amsterdam.
Joseph PALACHE 1562-1649 (10th. Great Grandfather) - ambassador for the Sultan of Morocco in the Netherlands, brother of Samuel (see below) and son of Rabbi Isaac Palache of Fez, Morocco. See also "A Man of Three Worlds: Samuel Pallache, a Moroccan Jew in Catholic and Protestant Europe" by Mercedes Garcםa-Arenal.
Don Samuel PALACHE 1550-1616 (10th. Great Grand Uncle) - commercial and diplomatic envoy for the Sultan of Morocco in the Netherlands and "pirate". See also "A Man of Three Worlds: Samuel Pallache, a Moroccan Jew in Catholic and Protestant Europe" by Mercedes Garcםa-Arenal.
Juan Solomon PEREZ CORONEL ?-1504 (15th. great grandfather) - Mayor of Segovia, 1495.
Lionel RUBIN (1st. cousin) - drummer and comedian with Jerry Allen & his Trio - resident musicians on the long running A.T.V. programme "Lunchbox" hosted by actress Noel Gordon. Later joined the Johnny Patrick Big Band and Quintet and was musical director at the Pebble Mills studio.
Dr. Samuel SARFATY PINA 1813-1866 (2nd. cousin five times removed) - physician for the Sephardic community, governor of the Portuguese-Jewish Community.
Peter SELLERS 1925-1980 (6th. cousin once removed) - comedian and actor - great grandson of Israel 'Mordechai' Mendoza.
Duarte SARAYVA a.k.a. David SENIOR CORONEL 1575-1650 (10th. great grandfather) - Merchant of Recife, Pernambuco, Brazil. His marriage is the first entry in "Trouwen in Mokum" (Jewish Marriage in Amsterdam 1598-1811) by Verdooner and Snel.
Don Abraham SENIOR CORONEL 1410-1493 (16th. great grandfather) - Court Rabbi of Castile, and royal "tax-farmer-in-chief"; born in Segovia. Numerous mentions on the internet. Heads up the booklet written by David Coren. Together with Isaac Abravanel, wrote the
letter of objection to Isabella and Ferdinand on the expulsion of the Jews from Spain
Joshua TOLEDANO (1788-1874) (3rd. cousin 4 times removed) progenitor of a plethora of musicians, acrobats, clowns, slack-rope artistes, equestrians and music-hall entertainers using the surname DANIELS. His daughter Sarah married Frank CLIFTON - "The Great Raslus". See also
The Toledano Family of Gibraltar.
Rabbi Abraham ben Samuel ZACUTO 1452-1515 (16th. great grandfather) - astronomer, mathematician, and historian, provided astrological tables and maps used by Christopher Columbus and developed a copper astrolabe used by Vasco da Gama.
See also: The Zacuto Families
Rabbi Moses ben Mordechai ZACUTO 1620-1697 (10th. great grandfather) - cabalistic writer and poet
See also: The Zacuto Families
- Rabbi Abraham ZACUTO (Zacutus Lusitanus) 1575-1642 (1st. cousin 14 times removed) - physician - first to describe "blackwater fever".
See also: The Zacuto Families
and of course:
- Lynn LEWIS 1944- (that's me) - webmaster, amateur genealogist, musician, former member of UK Bluegrass bands
"The Clay County Travellers" and "The Southern Ramblers", currently performer with my wife Judi of
"Folk Music .... Country Style" and with Canaan Country, producer at the
Tzorafolk Home Studio
with three CD's produced & another on the way plus a couple of odd tracks, co-host of
The Tzora Folk Club. and that's
only in my spare time - otherwise former quantity surveyor, tool & die maker and currently senior draughtsman
at Tzora Active Systems Ltd.
Page design by Lynn Lewis © - 1999 All Rites, Writes, Wrights, Rights & Wrongs Reserved